Meet Matthew Moy, Associate Solicitor, Commercial Litigation
I regularly advise both claimants and defendants from the outset of matters through to settlement, mediation or trial. The work is diverse and varied and I enjoy the challenges that this brings with it.
My clients often include large corporate companies, small to medium-sized businesses (SMEs), owner-managed businesses (OMBs) and high net worth individuals. I advise across various business sectors including:
Commercial litigation is a technical and wide-ranging area. Each matter often involves consideration of multiple different issues. My expertise includes:
- commercial contracts
- commercial property litigation
- intellectual property disputes
- warranty and indemnity claims
- professional negligence
- restrictive covenants in employment contracts
- shareholder and partnership disputes.
Asking the right questions ensures I take effective instructions, quickly establishing the issues and confidently advising on the action to take. I always place commercial considerations at the forefront to deliver pragmatic solutions and advice. This approach provides a seamless service for clients who require comprehensive teamwork – an example could be dispute resolution and commercial debt recovery.
Examples of recent client successes
- Commercial Contract – recovering a six-figure sum at mediation in London for a European construction company involved in a dispute over the modular fit-out of hotel projects.
- Shareholder Dispute – acting for a minority shareholder in a claim against a leading manufacturing company achieving a favourable settlement and exit from the company.
- Share Purchase Agreement – successfully recovering a six-figure sum advising on a claim for deferred consideration relating to an SPA, defended on the basis of breach of warranties.
- Partnership Agreement – advising a GP partnership in arbitration proceedings on breaches of partnership agreement resulting in a senior partner being removed from the partnership.
- Intellectual Property – acting for a specialist engineering recruitment company, regarding copyright ownership of newly-developed software for its business.
- Commercial Property – defending an application for an interim injunction and underlying proceedings at a 5-day trial in Manchester and then on appeal to the Court of Appeal.
- Professional Negligence – acting for a leading logistics company against a former intellectual property solicitors for a failure to identify and advise on patent infringement.
Outside of work
I enjoy city breaks, eating out, listening to music, reading and watching films. Also, I enjoy keeping fit by playing football, tennis and attending at the gym. I am a (long suffering) supporter of Liverpool football club and am thoroughly enjoying the recent success that the club has experienced!